The following has been circulated and I draw your attention to it here. As a list member wrote recently, ‘This isn’t a walk in the park. Just heard a friend of ours in Afganistan as a police mentor, (ex RUC), Ken McGonigal was shot dead on Saturday along with 2 US marines by a prisoner who managed to get his weapon, news only filtered through today’.
See – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1301520/British-dad-training-police-Afghanistan-shot-dead-escaped-prisoner.html
The following is regarding an upcoming opportunity that might be of interest to some of your members to work through NATO to build the capability of the police services in Afghanistan. Coffey International Development is currently bidding on this tender and would like to promote a greater contribution from current and former police officers from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. After speaking with the NARPO national office, they suggested that I contact the branch offices directly to inquire whether it would be possible to circulate information about this opportunity to your members. I have included below a short description of the opportunity in the event that you would be willing to circulate this, and have provided contacts for interested persons to register their interest or ask any questions they may have.
I am writing to you regarding an upcoming opportunity to work through NATO to build the capability of the police services in Afghanistan. Coffey International Development is a global international development consultancy focused on making a difference by improving the lives of world communities. We are the trusted advisers to donor agencies, national governments and private sector organisations around the world, with over 1,350 people working in over 70 countries. We offer our clients tried and tested approaches delivered through international and local specialists who understand the culture and communities in which they work. Our global operation includes offices in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Poland, United Arab Emirates, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and Cambodia.
Coffey International Development is currently tendering for the NATO Training Mission – Afghanistan (NTM-A), which aims to increase capabilities of the Ministry of Interior/Afghan National to provide a trained and professional police presence, enhance public security and support the rule of law in Afghanistan. For this opportunity, Coffey is recruiting qualified current and former police officers interested in working in international development. This large-scale programme focuses mainly on police training, mentoring and institutional development, and will operating across Afghanistan for a duration of three years. Specific roles, which are being recruited for this project, are: ·
We are seeking multiple candidates for each of these roles.
I would be very grateful if you could share the information regarding this opportunity with colleagues and networks you know of who may be interested.
A detailed Job & Person Specification for each position can be found at www.careers.coffey.com. Ref. COFF-1329 and interested applicants are encouraged to submit an on-line application.
Position 1: Institutional TrainerThe trainers shall coach the developing and existing Afghan instructors as they administer the COI to the students. They shall oversee all aspects of the training to insure that the Afghan trainers are properly and adequately administering the COI. In the event of temporary Afghan trainer shortage or when deemed operationally necessary by the U.S. Government, trainers shall conduct the actual training. Basic Required Qualification.
· Bachelors Degree in a related field from an accredited college or university, or ten or more years of experience in the subject matter area of Law Enforcement and Military Combat Survivability skills.
· Possess computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
· Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Possess strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
· Ability to effectively communicate, advise, and train others in principles of the associated staff functions ranging from the administration and personnel through intelligence, operations, logistics, through medical and engineering staff functions, as well as democratic policing.
· Law enforcement institutional training experience required for institutional mentors/trainers.
Position 2: Field Mentor, Afghan Uniformed Police
At the district level, fielded mentors shall interface primarily with District AUP leadership, key staff, and individual policemen. Provide Law Enforcement training in conjunction with the IJC to ANP in the region. Depending on ISAF Joint Command (IJC) priority; mentors shall be prepared to transition to a regional, provincial, or district level mission.
Basic Required Qualifications
· Successful completion of a state licensed basic police officer academy along with five or more years of work experience as a state or local law enforcement officer with principal responsibilities for either providing police protection, SWAT team experience, or criminal investigation services within the last 2 years
· A minimum of an Associate’s Degree in a Criminal Justice related field from an accredited college or university plus eight (8) years serving in a position of either sworn civilian law enforcement office in a major city (100,000 or more in population).
· Ten or more(10+) years law enforcement experience with at least five (5) years being in a position of sworn civilian law enforcement in a full service law enforcement agency in a major city (100,000 or more in population).
· Extensive knowledge of and experience in applying any four of the following subject areas:
· Patrol operations
· Criminal investigations
· Licensed or certified training provider in a police academy and/or field training officer in a field training program
· Crime scene investigation
· Firearms instruction
· Unarmed self-defense techniques instructor
· Police department operations and management
· Ability to effectively communicate, advise, and train others – through a language assistant – in principles of civilian law enforcement and police staff functions, including administration and personnel management, intelligence, operations, logistics, medical, and engineering, as well as community policing.
· Absence of any physical defect(s) or disease or psychological condition that would render the individual unable to perform the critical tasks to be performed by the position of civilian police advisor.
· Must pass a law enforcement physical and agility test
· Not have had any license or state certification suspended/withdrawn/ or cancelled while serving as a police officer
· No history of substantiated legal/ethical/moral violations while serving as a police officer.
· No resignation and/or retirement in-lieu of disciplinary action
· Hold no objection/public trust clearance (SF-85) and successfully pass a background investigation
· Ability to qualify with individual sidearm (9mm) and/or patrol rifle (M4).
· Additional training in military and/or police survivability skills.
· Possess or have the ability to acquire a passport.
· Possess a mission/goal oriented mindset and be capable of demonstrating initiative while using problem solving skills to apply experience to current situations.
Applications close on the 16th of August 2010 and any general queries relating to this role can be directed to:
Veronica Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
or Pooja Naidu (email@example.com)
or Charlotte Land (firstname.lastname@example.org)
I thank you in advance for your time in considering this email and I very much appreciate any time you may be able to invest in forwarding the details of these critical positions to interested parties.
AdministratorCoffey International Development Ltd
The Malthouse 1 Northfield Road Reading Berkshire RG1 8AH United Kingdom
T +44 118 956 6066 F +44 118 957 6066coffey.com Registered Office: 1 Northfield Road Reading Berkshire RG1 8AH United Kingdom
Registered in England No. 3799145
If you would like to be considered for future opportunities across the Coffey group, please register your details with our online Candidate Management System at careers.coffey.com.
GD Star Rating